This UNCG Quick Guide to U.S. Passports is a brief summary of information concerning U. S. passports. If you do not find the information you need in the Quick Guide, please visit the U.S. government website for additional information or to obtain forms.
First-Time Applicant Requirements
- ❖ Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- ❖ All applicants MUST appear in person.
- ❖ Both parents must appear for minors age fifteen (15) and under. If one parent is unable to appear, a notarized letter of consent (DS-3053) or other legal documents must be presented at the time of applying.
- ❖ Applicants age sixteen (16) and over must personally sign their passport application.
(A photocopy in addition to the original or certified document must be provided. If there is writing on both sides of the citizenship evidence, then copies must be made of the front and back of the document. Copies can be made at UNCG Passport Services for $0.10 per copy. See the Passport Application Fees page for more information.)
First-Time Applicant Documentation
Please submit one of the following documents that apply to you:
Proof of Citizenship
- ❖ A certified birth certificate from the county or state in which you were born, birth certificate must have a raised, embossed or multi colored seal, and list both parents. Hospital certificates are not acceptable. (More Information)
- ❖ A naturalization certificate or Report of Birth Abroad document (More Information)
- ❖ A full validity U.S. Passport book or card (can be expired)
Proof of Identity
- ❖ A state or federally issued picture ID such as driver’s license, ID card or military ID
- ❖ A state issued ID generally requires a second form of photo ID
- ❖ Parental ID is required for children under the age of sixteen (16)
(A photocopy of both sides of the identification must be provided. Copies can be made at UNCG Passport Services for $0.10 per copy. See the Passport Application Fees page for more information.)
DS-11 Form Options
- ♦ (PDF – select PDF by DS-11 form)
Print the form on one-sided pages and complete by hand with black ink. DO NOT SIGN the application until you are requested to do so by the authorized agent at UNCG Passport Services. Bring unsigned form to UNCG Passport Services.
- ♦ (Fillable Online – select Form Filler by DS-11 form)
Enter the information online. Then print the completed form using black ink on one-sided pages. DO NOT SIGN the application until you are requested to do so by the authorized agent at UNCG Passport Services. Bring unsigned form to UNCG Passport Services.
- ♦ Forms are also available at UNCG Passport Services
Special Requirements for Minors
To see passport application requirements for minors aged 15 and under, please contact the Passport Processing Agent at (910) 962-2432 or visit the government Web site at www.travel.state.gov.